The Limelight Association of Young Artists is an exciting community of young artists under the umbrella of the Mississauga Arts Council. This program also young artists to receive mentorship, learn about the business of art and contribute to Mississauga’s arts community.
LIMELIGHT’S MISSION IS TO: connect aspiring young artists and provide them with the support, recognition and opportunities required for them to thrive. Within the context of the Mississauga Arts Council, Limelight will fulfill its mission by:
- Providing practical support
- Informing young artists of resources and opportunities available to them
- Creating points of connection between young artists in Mississauga and throughout Canada
- Providing recognition for young artists
- Youth will be able to envision a successful career as artists or as creative professionals utilizing their skills as artists.
- Mississauga can be a community that will attract, support and value young artists.
- To create an environment within which young people can participate fully in Mississauga’s and ultimately Canada’s artistic community – and thus help shape that community and its activities through both programming and governance.
- Youth will be taken seriously as artists.
The Limelight Association of young artists offers a variety of programs to ensure that young artists are getting what they need:
Limelight Youth Committee
A team of Mississauga’s leading young artists proudly sit on the Mississauga Arts Council’s Limelight Youth Committee. Our committee is made up of passionate volunteers who work to plan, create and execute Limelight events. The youth committee meets on a monthly basis and is integral in the creation of and production of Limelight events, marketing, programming and event co-ordination. Artists on the committee come from various backgrounds including theatre, music, media arts, visual arts, poetry and literary arts. We offer volunteer hours to our committee members and other volunteers as well. Interested? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program pairs youth with mentors working in the creative and cultural industries to help build their experience and prepare them for a career in the arts/creative industries. We’re seeking mentees to pair with singer-songwriters, multiplatform artists and arts educators. Mentors are available to answer questions about everything from education to landing bigger gigs. Interested in becoming a mentor or mentee? Contact email@example.com
Open Mic Nights
The Mississauga Arts Council’s monthly Open Mic Nights are an extremely successful program which provides youth with a safe and relaxed environment to build confidence performing on stage. Open Mic Nights are open to participants of all ages however at least 80% of participants are youth. Past hosts include established artists such as Mike Celia and Chris Graham.
MAC’s Limelight Magazine is the premiere showpiece for Mississauga’s community of young artists. The full colour magazine is published bi-annually and is distributed to over 5,000 arts minded individuals. MAC’s Limelight Magazine features original stories, artist profiles, poetry, graphics and photography of youth, by youth. The publication enables young artists to publish their original work, helping them to build the confidence and experience to move forward in their artistic careers and reach their goals.
Click here to read this sought after publication