Strings Teacher Needed (Violin and Cello) for Sistema Mississauga
Start date: Immediately
Ad deadline: Oct. 22nd, 2014
Sistema Mississauga provides music instruction free of charge to children through an intensive social program that aims to inspire youth to reach their full potential. The program is inspired by the El Sistema program in Venezuela. Our mission is to empower youth with a strong sense of excellence, self-respect, and mutual support for others in the community through the pursuit of musical excellence in order to prepare them for a better tomorrow. The program builds confidence, encourages creativity and sparks ambition in each individual participant. By instilling these values in each child, this will in turn be transmitted to their families and provide a positive social impact in the greater Mississauga community. We are currently seeking a Music Teacher who is passionate about empowering children through music, thereby creating social change. The teaching position available is for strings (violin and cello).
Requirements and responsibilities of the Music Teacher position are as follows:
• Availability Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:15-5:15, starting immediately.
• A criminal records check specifically for working with vulnerable persons.
• Teaching the respective instruments to young children (grades 1-6) in a group setting.
• Establishing a curriculum plan.
• Integrating music appreciation and theory into daily lessons.
• Maintaining the general flow of the class.
• Encouraging mentoring between students.
• Attending and assisting with annual student performances.
• Empowering youth with the values outlined in the Sistema Mississauga mission statement.
• A degree in music and/or education would be considered an asset.
• For strings teachers, some Suzuki training would be ideal.
How to Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contact Info: Sarah Graydon
Sistema Mississauga Facebook page: facebook.com/SistemaMississauga
Sistema Mississauga Twitter page: twitter.com/SistemaMiss
Full job ad on Work in Culture: workinculture.ca/The-Job-Board
MAC is looking for a CULTURAL ANIMATOR
Term: Part-time, One-Year Contract
Purpose of the Job:
To bring together artists and communities to increase arts engagement in Mississauga’s many communities; support artists, arts organizations and non-arts groups and/or organizations to develop community-engaged arts projects; and, assist in the preparation of funding proposals for submission to Ontario Arts Council’s (OAC) Artists in the Community/Workplace (AICW) program http://www.arts.onMississauga.ca/Page95.aspx.
- Raise awareness about community-engaged arts practice in Mississauga and the benefits of bringing artists and non-arts communities together to partner on arts activities: attend events and hold meetings with the purpose of promoting culturally engaged communities through collaboration;
- Inform members of the local arts and non-arts communities about the range of cross-sectoral activity that has been supported by OAC through the AICW program;
- Identify local artists, arts organizations and non-arts groups and/or organizations who may be interested in partnering on community arts projects;
- Create opportunities for the arts and non-arts communities to explore common interests and possible partnerships;
- Assist artists, arts organizations and non-arts groups and/or organizations to develop projects and submit proposals to the AICW program;
- Increase the number of applicants from Mississauga seeking OAC support for community-engaged arts projects through the Artists in the Community/Workplace program.
- Collaborate with OAC Community and Multidisciplinary Arts Officer and Mississauga Arts Council to plan, implement and evaluate the Cultural Animation Initiative;
- Provide written and oral reports/progress reports to monthly staff and/or board meetings with Mississauga Arts Council;
- Provide content for Mississauga Arts Council’s website and written materials and/or articles for communication (publication and/or posting) to raise awareness about the initiative to the arts and non-arts communities;
- Provide a written evaluation of the Cultural Animation Initiative in accordance with the evaluation plan.
Summary of Key Qualifications:
- At least 5 years experience as a practicing community-engaged artist;
- Knowledge of local, provincial, national and international community-engaged arts networks;
- Knowledge of trends and new practices in community- engaged arts;
- Knowledge of the unique challenges facing Ontario’s Aboriginal, culturally diverse, Francophone, regional, new generation and Deaf and disability arts communities regarding access to arts funding;
- Experienced and knowledgeable in grant writing and public funding systems;
- Solid organizational and administrative practices;
- Effective verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation and presentation skills;
- Computer proficiency in Excel, Word, database, and Outlook programs;
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle, computer and Internet
- Proficiency in French is an asset.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and résumé in English, by November 14, 2014. to email@example.com.
Sites for Arts Related Job Opportunities
We recommend that you check these websites regularly since job opportunities are being added to them all the time.