Raheel Patel – He/Him
Mixed media Artist / Art & Museum Curator
A creative soul who strongly believes in karma and an enlightenment seeker.
I was born in a Culturally rooted family in narrow lanes of Ahmedabad (INDIA), a town that is more than 600 years old. My family’s history with this city survives for more than 4 centuries. I was shadowing my grandfather who was a traditional miniature “pichvai” painter (traditional art form of India)
Since childhood, I was always exposed to all the traditional art forms of India eg: Miniature painting, Natural dyes & Stamping, Traditional Textile Weaving methods. I inherited Vaishnav Sampradaya, a Hindu cultural sect, in which most of the traditional art forms exposed are connected to followers of Lord Krishna (Shreenathji). My heritage has helped me in navigating my art career.
To understand the Indian art and techniques at a much deeper level I did my graduation into Fine Arts (Applied Arts and Art History). I migrated to Canada in 2014 and then I decided to learn more about art and museum practices and did Culture & Museum Management from centennial college, and today I am offering my workshops on traditional art practices at my studio (Holy Cow Studio), Peel Public schools, wellness centers, Museums & Art centers.
2018 – 2019 School year
We offered our workshops in “40 Peel district public schools” and few in Markham
More than “4000 Students participated” in our workshops in the schools and the project was funded by Trillium and supported by
We also facilitated at the PDSB Symposium for School Art Teachers on Environment-Friendly Art Practices.
- More Content:
Raheel Patel – He/Him
Mixed media Artist / Art & Museum Curator
Born and raised in India’s first world heritage city Ahmedabad, Inheriting the cultural values, Art, Craft, Practices, Myths, Legends & Faith from his family, and Sampradaya (Cultural & Religious System). I have not only learned these traditional art forms but also applied them to our modern world threw modern educational systems to understand Indian art and techniques at a much deeper level. As an artist the child within me has never died I have been playful all my life Ever since my childhood days, like every child, childhood stories, games, toys have fascinated me. But while many of them gradually overcome this fascination, few like me live with it in their the secret world forever. The object and the subject both in my work are the memories of my childhood the techniques of using stamps in my work the kaleidoscope visions which I resonate with the mandala patterns this all have very beautiful unforgettable memories which I relive into art.
2016-2017 | Graduate Certificate in Culture and Heritage Site Management
Centennial College – Culture and Heritage Management Essentials – Municipal & Culture Planning – Public Art & Place Marketing – Financial Management and Planning – Culture and Heritage Marketing and Strategy – Grants, Fundraising and Sponsorship – Collections and Exhibit Management – Innovative Technologies – National Historic Site Management – Leadership in Culture and Heritage Sector – Issues in Heritage, Museum & Galleries – Customer Relationship Management – Story works (Exhibition Development)
Recipient of the Dean’s Award for the Entrepreneurship and Innovation into Culture and Museum Management.
2000-2004 | Bachelor of Fine Arts Graphic Design & Art History
Maharaja. Sayajirao. University Faculty of Fine Arts, Baroda, India
Applied Art & Art History, European Art (Mannerism to Modern), Indian Art (Mughal to Modern), Foundation Art & Graphic Design, Photography
2018 – Established a “Holy Cow Studio” at Port Credit
Recipient of the City of Mississauga grant for new business
Our Mission Is to Connect Create Construe through fun, inspiration, creativity and self-expression into Art Craft Design and Museum for the mental wellbeing with environment-friendly practices.
Our Vision Is to see Art Craft Design and Museum sector cohesively coexist to provide access to every Humankind to express their emotions through therapeutic Art.
Art Therapy/ Meditative Art / Natural Dyes & Stamping / Meditation Circles
Art Therapy / Accessible Art / Meditative Art / Natural Dyes & Stamping / Meditation Circles / Activating Scenes
/ “Mudras” Power to heal
Access to Disable: Specially Designed Workshops for physically and mentally disabled people visually impaired.
Our workshops are offered at Art Galleries, Wellness centers, Museum and School’s – Offered to Seniors, Kids, all ages
2018 – 2019 Participants more than 40 schools and more than 4000 students participated
Approx 1200 seniors participated and are benefited threw our workshops.
Art & Museum Curating: Experimental Visual Artist – Independent Curator – Pop-up Museums & Exhibitions – Heritage & Culture Management – Graphic Design & Marketing – Illustrations & Digital Art
2017 | Region of Peel (PAMA) Peel Art Gallery, Museum, and Archives, Brampton, ON
● Exhibition Graphic Design Assistance
● Worked in education, to support in-house and outreach programs.
● Developed educational programs and activities.
● Historical research on special exhibitions for the South Asian community e.g.: History of Shadow puppetry.
● Worked independently developing & creating an exhibit for a South Asian Heritage Month on historic & contemporary board games of India a special exhibition “The Art of Kreeda” an exhibition on South Asian traditional games and learning through play.
● Curated a public Art performance to promote PAMA by creating Rangoli art.
Founder and Managing Trustee
2009 – Present | Vaarso Foundation. N.G.O, Ahmedabad, India
Founded in 2008, Vaarso Foundation (Heritage-Culture-Tradition) is one of Gujarat’s most respected organizations devoted to civic heritage. The only independent, organization devoted to city-wide heritage matters Vaarso has a reputation for groundbreaking research, publications, education and outreach programs, unique events and innovative community partnerships.
● Inherited a 350 years old heritage site and have developed a Vintage Toy Museum
● Stewardship of a collection of more than 300 vintage toys (some of them are 350 years old)
● Subject matter expert in Kreeda which uses traditional South Asian toys to promote learning and play http://www.kreeda.weebly.com
● Conceptualized and designed India’s first “Kids Heritage Walk” for children which was considered one of the most significant projects by UNESCO (Culture Unit Delhi India) in 2012 http://www.KidsHeritageWalk.com
● Cultivated sponsored from Government of Gujarat to underwrite the project’s costs
● Achieved 25000 participants within two years.
● Created animated film and developed a character which was a part of the Kids’ Heritage Walk project to educate younger generation through the film
● Revived the history of kites and showcased the history of kites to the world 2010 – 2011 – 2012 – 2013 with a partnership with Tourism Corporation of Gujarat Government of India – Festival to host international kite flyers and a temporary museum showcasing the history of kites. Executed temporary museum at Windfest, Toronto’s waterfront kite festival. Participants were more than 400 people It took place at Woodbine Beach.
· Developed Kathotsava – A storytelling festival 2013 interschool story writing festival, including Storytelling and art workshops, and Storytelling and shadow puppetry workshop
· Developed outreach activities for Heritage Week including a Vessels museum, street plays, a chair museum, a craft fair, folk dance and drama performances, and a presentation of historic music and folk songs
· Partnered with the Ahmedabad International Art Festival to create “The Toys from Heaven” Public Art Installation. This was supplemented with 19 events in 15 venues and involving 50 artists over 14 days
2014 – 2016 | ONE DAY DESIGN & PRINT COMPANY, Mississauga, ON
● Graphic artist and design including original illustrations, branding, web design and print media (Pre and post press)
2015 | Region of Peel School Board, Mississauga, ON
● Created and delivered History of Toys and Games Workshop (hands-on making history toys) (Natural Dye & Block printing) (Activating senses) Peel Region School Mississauga. 2015, 2017,2018
Sr. Graphic Designer, Ahmedabad, India / New Jersey USA
2007 – 2008 | INIT Design Studio,
● Project design for World Gujarati Conference ( Chalo Gujarat ) New Jersey USA
● Elements created included Conceptualization, Event Management, Visual graphic design, Theme pavilions, Promotional films, website design, Theme base cultural performances.
2006 – 2007 | Varia Design, Ahmedabad, India
● Instructor of multiple course including Foundation Art, Fundamental of Art & Design
Graphic Designer, Ahmedabad, India
2004 – 2005 | Qumulus Design / Navneet Publication
● Book designer WHAT responsibilities did you have???
Other Community Projects:
● Workshops & resident artist camp at the City Pulse Institute of Film & Television – 2008 – 2010 – total of 72 artists participated in this three years.
● Understanding Murals workshop 2011 for artists and art lovers – 2 workshops conducted with more than 60 participants in total.
● Treasure Hunts in the old city of Ahmedabad 2009 – 2010 – 2011 – 2012. – Every hunt was no less than 200 people across citywide.
● Innovative thinker with creative visual design strength.
● Contemporary Art, Museum, Culture knowledge and familiarity with the theory,
principles, practices, and procedures.
● Computer applications related to the work, including Word, Excel, and
Photoshop – CorelDraw – Website Design – Social Media Marketing
● Basic personnel, procurement and contract administration practices.
● Understanding of all the mediums of Art – Craft – Exhibition.
● Develop and implement the program.
● Prepare, monitor, and administer programs.
● Manage Museum projects at various stages of development.
● Manage all phases of the design, fabrication, and installation of the traveling exhibits.
● Work well independently and with team members.
● Possess exceptional organizational skills, multi-task, prioritize work and meet
● critical deadlines.
● Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing.
● Exercise sound independent judgment within established policies and guidelines.
● Be highly organized and manage time effectively.
● Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the
● the course of work.
● Communicate effectively at all levels within and outside the organization.
● ENGLISH fluent (speaking, reading, writing)
● HINDI fluent (speaking, reading, writing)
● GUJARATI fluent (speaking, reading, writing)
● PUNJABI (Understand, speaking)
● URDU (Understand, speaking)
Art Gallery of Mississauga