By: Chris Clay – Mississauga News
May 14, 2018
The best and brightest of Mississauga’s arts community got their respective moments in the sun recently at the annual awards gala known as the MARTYs.
The Mississauga Arts Council (MAC) presents the arts awards each year and this year’s event happened on Thursday, May 10 at the Mississauga Convention Centre. More than 540 guests, presenters and nominees were in attendance including Mayor Bonnie Crombie and former mayor Hazel McCallion.
“The arts in Mississauga are fuelled by the passionate energy and active belief of great volunteers; residents from every corner of the city who donate their time and energy to making creative events into unforgettable experiences,” said MAC’s executive director, Mike Douglas, in a release.
The winners are:
- Literary Emerging — Michelle Hillyard;
- Literary Established — Eric Walters;
- Media Arts Emerging — Francesco Philip Reale;
- Media Arts Established — Cathleen MacDonald;;
- Visual Arts Emerging — Kathlynn Hoang;
- Visual Arts Established — Huan Chen;
- Music Solo Instrumental Emerging — Mason Victoria;
- Music Solo Instrumental Established — Rob Tardik;
- Music Solo Vocal Emerging — Abishek Venkatachalam;
- Music Solo Vocal Established — Alessia Cohle;
- Music Group Emerging — The Dreamboats;
- Music Group Established — ViVA Trio;
- Dance Established — Anjelica Scannura;
- Creative Design Emerging — Maya Charbin;
- Creative Design Established — Shirley Wu;
- Festival of the Year — Southside Shuffle Blues & Jazz Festival;
- Hazel McCallion Volunteer of the Year Award — Rita Ferguson;
- Laurie Pallett Patron of the Arts Award — Pratt & Whitney;
- Lifetime Achievement Award — Gary Clipperton.