MAC’s dynamic and impactful MicroGrant program provides funding for artist-led projects which have a pronounced and impactful connection to the public and bring recognition and increased awareness to the arts across the city.
These MicroGrants are made possible through sponsor contributions and MAC’s own fundraising efforts. We offer two streams of MicroGrant funding.
MAC’s engaging MicroGrant Program provides funding to new artist-led projects. These MicroGrants target areas of interest or need within the local arts sector, and often encourage collaboration across artistic practices. MicroGrant funding streams are subject to change and are identified by MAC.
MAC’s Matchmaker MicroGrants are designed to help Mississauga artists start or complete a project or to invest in their professional development. Artists can receive matching funds for money raised by sponsorship, investment, and in-kind contributions by the artists themselves.
Winners Announced for our Fall 2023 MicroGrants
Our Fall 2023 MicroGrants will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the City of Mississauga through arts and culture projects that engage the community and celebrate 50 years of civic identity.
Project MicroGrant Winners
ArtsCare Program Development MicroGrant:
- Sabyasachi Nag – Moving Memoirs
- Graphic memoir project designed to engage and support early-stage dementia patients in preserving and sharing their life stories.
- Mississauga Players Theatre – Jubilee Seniors Theatre and Acting Program
- Offers seniors an exciting way to stay mentally sharp, express themselves creatively, build communication skills, and make new friends.
Community Art Activation MicroGrant:
- Stay Woke – Speak Your Truth
- Youth event that will amplify the voices of young artists, foster growth, and peer mentorship.
- Studio.89 – Nature’s Canvas: Grow Your Tomorrow
- Youth-focused program at Studio.89, promoting sustainable artistry for ages 11-30.
- Thipashini Balakrishnan – Mississauga Community Fashion Runway
- Bringing together individuals of all ages to celebrate South Asian heritage through the captivating medium of fashion.
Music Showcase Event Production MicroGrant:
- JD Era – The Sauga Continues
- Hip-hop showcase featuring local artists to bridge the gap between the generations of Mississauga Hip-hop artists.
Theatre in the Park MicroGrant:
- Colleen Snell – War of the Worlds Reimagined
- 60-minute dance-theatre work by Frog in Hand, featuring thrilling performances, an original soundtrack, and choreography for 20+ dancers.
- Marilyn Campbell – The Great Blue
- Theatre performance that will follow the decade-long struggle of a Great Blue Heron to find her place in an ever-more urbanized world.
Matchmaker MicroGrant Winners
- Anna Yin – Polyphonic celebration for Mississauga’s 50th Anniversary
- Collegial artistic effort with poetry, translations, photos and paintings.
- Archy Jay – Scotland the Brave India the bold
- Bagpipe fusion song about unity and bravery.
- Cat Bernardi – Muovermi
- Recording of a new single and accompanying music video.
- Caterina Sauro – Exprosé
- Space for writers to commune with featured poets and share their works.
- Heather Christine – Soul Call
- Creation, recording, production and distribution of sophomore EP/album.
- JACELYN – Ice Flower
- Marketing campaign and radio promotion for a holiday album.
- Leah Duarte – Unclean Heads
- Free-verse and prose poetry collection.
- Mississauga Writers Group – Writing Contests
- Contest for youth and seniors, allowing writers to get published.
- Muniyat Haque – The Picture of Parveen
- Short film about dealing with high expectations from an immigrant father.
- Ruba Zouzou – DNA Cultural Music Performance
- Concert featuring music from the Levant, Anatolia, and Persian regions.
- Sabrina Narzoles Aly – Do We Have Time?
- Short docu-series featuring 7 Canadians on a journey of self-reflection.
- Sauga Poetry
- Mississauga’s hub for the spoken word with a monthly open mic.
Career MicroGrant Winners
- Carolyne Topdjian
- Gaby Al Botros
- Sahar Golshan
- Sarena and Sasha Nanua
- Sasha Shevchenko
- Simran Patel
- Susan Ksiezopolski
- Tahira Rajwani
- Tylor Key-Carr
- Vishakha Ghosh
MAC MicroGrants have changed artists lives!
Funding through MAC’s MicroGrant program has enabled 122+ artists to realize their goals and develop new artistic projects. These projects have positively impacted audiences and communities in Mississauga and beyond. Learn about some of these engaging projects and the talented Mississauga artists who have benefited from MAC’s MicroGrant Program: mississaugaartscouncil.com/programs/microgrants/microgrant-success/
MAC awards $94,000 to 31 Winning Mississauga Artists to fund artist-led projects across all artistic…
We know life can be hectic, so have an extra week on us! Our Fall 2023 MicroGrant Applications are n…
Mississauga Arts Council’s (MAC) Fall 2023 MicroGrant initiative embarks on a creative journey to co…