MAC provides funding to 18 exciting Artist-led projects that will increase awareness fo the arts in Mississauga and provide valuable paid work for local creatives.
The Mississauga Arts Council (MAC) is pleased to announce the winners of Phase One of our MicroGrant and Matchmaker MicroGrant Programs. We received over 50 applications across four funding streams, and have awarded funding to 18 artist-led projects. MAC will distribute $38,000 in MicroGrant funding through Phase One of our 2021 MicroGrant program.
“COVID-19 continues to deprive the arts sector of opportunity and revenue generation,” said Mike Douglas, Executive Director of MAC. “MAC’s MicroGrant program seeks to inspire artists to continue to create by providing funding for them to continue their artistic practice during difficult times.”
Congratulations to all of the Phase One MicroGrant recipients. MAC is proud to support these creative and diverse projects by talented local artists in all artistic practices.
Targeting areas of interest within the local arts sector, or encouraging collaboration across artistic practices, MAC’s engaging MicroGrant program provides full project funding to new artist-led projects.
Congratulations to our Phase One MicroGrant winners:
The Dance on Film MicroGrant – sponsored by RAMA Gaming Centre through the Mississauga Charitable Gaming Association – is awarded to Zachary Seto for his project Estrella Emergence, a movement-based short film exploring the journey through the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our Touring Words of Meaning MicroGrant – sponsored by RAMA Gaming Centre through the Mississauga Charitable Gaming Association – is awarded to Anjula Evans, whose illustrated children’s book, Kids & COVID Questions, will be presented to schools and libraries this fall.
MAC’s Brand-New Fusion MicroGrant is an exciting two-part project that will produce an animated music video. In Part One, we asked musicians and music groups to submit a song and creative concept for the music video. Congratulations to Mauve, who’s song Another Life was selected.
Part Two of this Fusion MicroGrant, will open soon. We will be seeking illustrators, visual artists, and digital artists to submit their application and speak to the creative brief of the animated music video.
MAC’s Matchmaker MicroGrants
MAC’s Matchmaker MicroGrant Program encourages artists to be entrepreneurial and will provide matching funds of up to $2500 towards artistic projects that are beneficial to the community and demonstrate artist growth for the participants. This year we received 32 project applications across all artistic practices.
Congratulations to our Phase One Matchmaker MicroGrant winners:
- Alex Pollard – Lost and Found (dance)
- Alison Syer – Drawn In (visual art/literature)
- Anna Wojcik – Outdoor Opera (music production/concerts)
- Arlene – Harmony//Innocence (music recording)
- Karin Elyakim – Sunrises for Darling (film)
- Matt Zaddy – #TogetherAtHome (open mic concerts)
- MAYBE MAY – Still Mine (music recording)
- Rohan Dhupar – Venus & Adonis (dance)
- Susan Ksiezopolski – Creative Resilience, Artful Way to Bounce (multi-genre workshops)
- Tanisha Cunningham – Hair Care (theatre production)
- Zohra Zoberi – The Other I (literature)
MAC’s Matchmaker MicroGrant Program also supports Artist Career Development with Funds of up to $1000 for winning applications. These grants support artists as they learn new skills or receive mentorship to further their artistic careers.
Congratulations to our Career Development MicroGrant winners:
- Angela Chao – Colours that Make Mississauga (visual art).
- Heather Christine – Vocal Coaching Mentorship (music)
- Julia Juhas – Film Directing Mentorship (Film)
- Maria Lagarde – Art2Connect Credit Valley Trail (visual art/literature)