MAC is seeking a Reporter (Arts and Culture) to create stories about Mississauga’s thriving arts community. This is a 6-month, part-time, contract position.
The deadline to apply is Monday, December 4, 2023 at 5 PM
Date Posted: Friday, November 10, 2023
Application Deadline: Monday, December 4, 2023, by 5 PM.
Anticipated Start Date: Tuesday, January 2, 2024
Anticipated End Date: Tuesday, July 2, 2024
Term: Temporary 24/hr week, 6-month contract position
Salary/Hours*: $25-$30hr, 24/hr week, 6-month contract position
*Please note, that this position will require covering MAC’s member events outside of designated work hours, including evenings and weekends.
Location^: Hybrid – MAC’s office is located in Mississauga City Hall, 300 City Centre Dr Suite 1055, Mississauga, ON, L5B 3C9
^This position will require travelling to locations in Mississauga to capture events and artist interviews. As such, a valid G driver’s licence with access to a reliable vehicle is required. MAC will cover the cost of mileage at $.50/km.
MAC will provide a MacBook, Adobe Creative Suite software, camera/video equipment, along with a green screen studio to the successful candidate.
Reporter (Arts and Culture) – Job Description:
We have an opportunity for a passionate, ambitious, creative storyteller to join our talented team and make a difference in the vibrant arts community in Mississauga as a Reporter (Arts and Culture). The Reporter (Arts and Culture) will use their skills to ideate, plan, research, write, edit and report on-camera stories about Mississauga’s arts community for Martys HUB robust digital platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities
With guidance from the Communications Manager and Creative Director & Strategist, the Reporter (Arts and Culture) will:
- Research, interview, write, edit and be an on-screen reporter for personal arts stories about Mississauga’s vibrant arts scene for distribution on Martys HUB platforms. Including, but not limited to, articles for MartysHUB.com and short video-storytelling online content (Reels & TikToks).
- Work alongside the Content Creator and creative team to ideate content for developed stories for Martys HUB, and its respective social media channels.
- Conduct and schedule interviews with local artists.
- Keep up to date with local arts news taking place in the city and pitch stories to the MAC creative team.
- With assistance from the Communications Manager, reach out to media networks to pitch story ideas for their platforms.
- Participate in regular content brainstorms with the MAC creative team.
- Assist with other administrative tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Media, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field.
- Minimum 1 year of professional experience in a reporter or journalist-based role.
- Strong knowledge of crafting stories using research, interviewing, and writing/copy-editing skills.
- Experience being in front of a camera as a reporter or equivalent exposure.
- Knowledge of using a DSLR camera.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Detail-oriented, able to organize, multitask, and manage multiple projects on the go.
- Knowledge of media relations and digital media strategies.
- Ability to work successfully individually and in a team.
- Valid G Driver’s License and reliable access to a vehicle. MAC will cover mileage costs at $.50/km.
- Experience editing short story content (Reels & TikTok’s using Canva/Adobe Premiere Pro or equivalent editing software).
- Experience working at a non-profit or in the arts sector.
- Passion about bringing the public to the arts.
How to Apply:
Please email the following items with the subject line – “Reporter (Arts and Culture)” to Sherri Parliament, MAC’s Communications Manager, email@example.com.
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position
- Resume/CV outlining your skills and experience
- 3-5 writing samples of past work. Can include (but not limited to) interviews, articles, press releases, on-screen video reporting, etc.
Application Deadline: Monday, December 4, 2023, by 5 PM. No late applications will be accepted.
MAC is committed to ensuring the value of diversity is upheld in everything that we do for our members, employees, volunteers, and the broader community. MAC welcomes and supports all people, regardless of ability, age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, or beliefs. It is incumbent upon MAC staff and volunteers to share the responsibility of creating and maintaining an environment of mutual respect and support.
We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants who require accessibility support can contact, in confidence, Susan Durnin, firstname.lastname@example.org to make accommodations.