Published on mississauga.com, October 12th, 2022. Article by Rohan Puri.
MAC will provide $60,000 in MicroGrants across seven funding streams to artist-led projects and initiatives
The Mississauga Arts Council (MAC) will be holding the second round of its 2022 MicroGrant program this fall and is inviting Mississauga artists and unregistered arts groups/collectives across all disciplines to apply for the same. MAC will be providing $60,000 in MicroGrants across seven funding streams to artist-led projects and initiatives.
The deadline to apply for MAC’s MicroGrant program is Monday, Oct. 31 by 5 p.m.
“Our impactful MicroGrant program has touched the lives of local artists by putting funds directly into their projects, providing opportunities to lift their careers to the next level,” stated Mike Douglas, MAC’s executive director, according to a news release.
“This Fall round of MicroGrants will continue this pattern of growth with funding for new opportunities for filmmakers, theatre artists, visual art curators, therapeutic art instructors, dancers, and music producers. We have also returned our successful Matchmaker MicroGrants, which are open to all artistic practices for special projects and career development initiatives.”
According to the news release, MAC will be offering the following MicroGrant funding streams this fall:
• Short Documentary Film MicroGrant ($8,000) is for a filmmaker or writer/filmmaker partnership to create a documentary on a Mississauga artist, arts group or arts experience.
• Theatre in the Park MicroGrant ($7,000) is a two-part MicroGrant that will invest in a new theatre piece to be written and performed as a Theatre in the Park experience.
• Visual Art Curation MicroGrant ($6,000) is for local curator(s) to develop an exhibition of local artists.
• ArtsCare Program Development MicroGrant ($5,000) will support an artist or group developing and delivering a virtual or in person program, designed to deliver creative experiences to those with moderate mental health obstacles.
• Dance on Film MicroGrant ($5,000) will see a new dance work reimagined as a short film.
• Music Showcase Production MicroGrant ($4,000) is for a local music producer to develop a live-event showcase of local Mississauga musicians/music groups.
• Matchmaker MicroGrants (10 x $2,500) are open to any artistic discipline and are designed to help artists start/complete a project or invest in career development. Artists can receive up to $2,500 in matching funds for money raised by sponsorship, investment and in-kind contributions.
MAC will also be hosting a virtual information session on Thursday, Oct. 13, at 3 p.m. over Zoom.
Those interested can find guidelines, criteria, and submission form here.